Breastfeeding is a natural process that gives your baby the best possible nutrition and creates a special bond between mother and child. Our naturopaths David McLeod and Zam Martin will work in conjunction with your other health care providers to ensure you get the best possible care.
Breast milk is the best formula available, it contains all the nutrition a newborn needs and even high-quality supplemental formulas will not contain the same balance of specific and digestible nutrients. Breast milk also supports the development of a strong and healthy immune system in these brand-new humans. It is rich in immunoglobulins, B-cells, T-cells, neutrophils, macrophages and antibodies - all of which play an integral role in growing healthy, bouncing babies.
However, sometimes the process doesn't come easily. Many new mothers find breastfeeding a challenge - particularly in the early days - which may occur for a number of reasons. Difficulty can be upsetting and frustrating, but it is important not to be discouraged! Professional support and advice will help significantly - and make a world of difference to you and your baby.
Some common challenges David & Zam can help you with include:
- Lactation - this can be improved with the use of galactagogue herbs, by improving the diet, ensuring adequate hydration and supporting the nervous system.
- Mastitis - this painful condition can be treated and prevented from recurring by building immune function, energy production and improving nutrition.
For further information refer to our breastfeeding support page.
- IVF & Natural medicine; Why does recurrent implantation failure occur?
- IVF & Natural medicine; Improving the success rates of IVF
- IVF & TCM; Diagnosing your Infertility
- A Natural Approach to Preconception and Assisted Fertility
- Boosting your Fertility
- Acupuncture in the treatment of pain
- Breastfeeding support at HealthWise
- Learn acupressure for pain relief in labour
- Longevity and the Art of Ageing Well
- Simple solutions to Sinusitis
- Balancing the Doshas
- Top 3 Health Essentials
- Pantry Basics
- The health benefits of nuts
- Herbal medicine for Children
- Detoxification - what does it mean?
- Healing your Headaches
- The 5 Elements Theory
- The Restorative benefits of Nature & the theory of soft focus
- How to have healthy, radiant skin
- When to use Echinacea?
- David's India visit
- David's India trip Part 2: A visit to the barefoot acupuncturists of Mumbai
- David explores yoga and naturopathy in India
- What makes our practitioners tick?
- Zam's yoga retreat in India: A journey of yoga