This relish has a balance of elements to ensure an effective and tasty condiment, protecting and complimenting your bodies energy for the change of season to the colder months.
This well harmonised Relish includes Pears which have a sweet and slightly sour flavour with a cooling nature and Cinnamon which is a warm and pungent herb. Both ingredients have the Chinese energetics pertaining to the Lung element and working together they can ward off cold and flu's, eliminate dry throat and aid in removing phlegm.
Cinnamon is also a fabulous herb used to treat many things with the function of increasing energy, due to over work, stress or illness, and it also warms and soothes the digestive system. Interestingly it has a delightfully close relationship with the Heart element. So you can snuggle up with this tastiness as a heart tonic. True comfort for the soul.
- 2 medium brown onions roughly chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic smashed and roughly chopped
- 10 large unripe pears, washed, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbl spoons of ground cinnamon powder
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 500ml of red wine vinegar
- In a deep pot place the onions and garlic on medium heat allowing to become fragrant and onions to become transparent. Adjust the heat to prevent them from browning or sticking to the bottom - do not add water or oil as the moisture will come out of the onions. Stir frequently until the onions soften (approx. 5mins).
- Add the pears, cinnamon sticks and ground powder. Adjust heat to low and stir occasionally to allow the pears to soften and while regular stirring. This can take up to 45mins for the pears to soften depending on ripeness, seasonal variety, and freshness.
- Add the sugar and stir frequently for another 15-20mins allowing to caramelise.
- Add the vinegar and low simmer for around 1-2 hours stirring occasionally. Allowing it to thicken. Keep an eye on it toward the end when it really starts to get thick as it will catch quickly.
- When thick, taste and correct seasoning if needed. Should have a sweetness and then a vinegar kick at the end.
- While it is still hot, spoon into sterilised jars and label for storage.
- Caesar salad dressing (WF, GF)
- Chilli Marmalade
- Chilli Relish
- Chimichurri dressing
- Date Paste
- Easy Sprouting
- Ginger & Date Chutney
- Hot Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Italian Tomato Sauce (GF, WF, DF, EF)
- Moroccan Spice Mix (Ras al Hanout)
- Onion Relish (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Pear and Cinnamon Relish (DF, WF, GF, EF)
- Raw Nut White Sauce (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Tomato Relish (WF, GF, DF)
- Wasabi Salad Dressing (WF, GF, DF)