- 2kg of white or brown onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1L of dry red wine
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- Orange (optional) - cut off slices of the rind and juice
- Thyme (optional) 3-4 whole sprigs
- In a deep pot place all the onions on medium heat to let them wilt. Adjust the heat to prevent them from browning or sticking to the bottom - do not add water or oil as the moisture will come out of the onions. Stir frequently until the onions soften 15-20mins.
- Add the sugar and stir frequently for another 15-20mins allowing to caramelise.
- The moisture will depend on what type of onion you are using. Continue to caramelise until almost all the moisture has evaporated.
- Add wine, vinegar and salt and pepper (optional - and the orange rind and juice or the thyme). Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for around 1 - 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally. Once it starts to thicken it doesn't take long so keep an eye on it.
- When thick, taste and correct seasoning if needed.
- While it is still hot, spoon into sterilised jars and label for storage.
You can add flavour of any kind. Try adding Thyme or Orange. They really enhance the volume of the flavour.
- Caesar salad dressing (WF, GF)
- Chilli Marmalade
- Chilli Relish
- Chimichurri dressing
- Date Paste
- Easy Sprouting
- Ginger & Date Chutney
- Hot Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Italian Tomato Sauce (GF, WF, DF, EF)
- Lemon Butter
- Lime Chutney
- Moroccan Spice Mix (Ras al Hanout)
- Onion Relish (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Pear and Cinnamon Relish (DF, WF, GF, EF)
- Raw Nut White Sauce (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Tomato Relish (WF, GF, DF)
- Wasabi Salad Dressing (WF, GF, DF)