Acupuncture has a long history of helping women through their transition to motherhood. Many women seek help from acupuncture for pre-conception care, infertility treatment, pregnancy support, labour preparation and birth recovery with good results.
Acupressure involves applying pressure instead of acupuncture needles to carefully selected points on the body. Unlike, acupuncture, acupressure can be easily performed by anyone, anywhere, with a little bit of training from a qualified acupuncturist. Pain relief is an area in which acupressure really shines. It has been used by women and their birth partners for thousands of years in relieving pain associated with labour.
Mums-to-be can gain significant benefits from using acupressure in labour. These go beyond pain relief. There are points that also promote contractions, relieve nausea and have a calming effect. After birth, acupressure can help to promote milk supply.
To use acupressure effectively in labour, seek training from an acupuncturist with experience in fertility and pregnancy care. The acupuncturist will demonstrate to the woman and her birth partner the locations of the points, how to apply pressure to them and when to use them.
Acupressure for labour is ideally preceded by several acupuncture treatments from week thirty-six of the pregnancy to prepare for the birth. If there are any complications with the pregnancy or specific health concerns (such as breach presentation) it is important to seek treatment from an acupuncturist or appropriate health professional rather than relying solely on acupressure.
To book in for a session with one of HealthWise's acupuncturists to learn 'acupressure for pain relief in labour' call the clinic on 07 3839 1077.
- IVF & Natural medicine; Why does recurrent implantation failure occur?
- IVF & Natural medicine; Improving the success rates of IVF
- IVF & TCM; Diagnosing your Infertility
- A Natural Approach to Preconception and Assisted Fertility
- Boosting your Fertility
- Acupuncture in the treatment of pain
- Breastfeeding support at HealthWise
- Learn acupressure for pain relief in labour
- Longevity and the Art of Ageing Well
- Simple solutions to Sinusitis
- Balancing the Doshas
- Top 3 Health Essentials
- Pantry Basics
- The health benefits of nuts
- Herbal medicine for Children
- Detoxification - what does it mean?
- Healing your Headaches
- The 5 Elements Theory
- The Restorative benefits of Nature & the theory of soft focus
- How to have healthy, radiant skin
- When to use Echinacea?
- David's India visit
- David's India trip Part 2: A visit to the barefoot acupuncturists of Mumbai
- David explores yoga and naturopathy in India
- What makes our practitioners tick?
- Zam's yoga retreat in India: A journey of yoga