A delicious meal for the cooler autumn climate. This recipe combines nuts, seeds and warming herbs and spices to keep you warm and well nourished.
3 ½ cups mixed nuts and seeds (e.g. cashews, almonds, macadamias, sunflower seeds)
4 cloves garlic
1 egg or 2 tablespoons whey powder
1 cup soy or rice milk
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (gluten-free if required)
1 tsp each of ground ginger and ground cardamom
Black pepper and sea salt to taste
425g can of tomatoes
Small red capsicum (optional)
½ teaspoon each of cayenne pepper, turmeric, allspice and nutmeg
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Crush the nuts, seeds and garlic in a food processor or with a pestle and mortar. Mix in all the other nut roast ingredients, adding enough oil and water to bind them into a thick paste.
Spoon into a greased, deep sided baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Liquidise the tomatoes and capsicum in a blender, then strain through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Warm in a heavy pain and add the spices. Cover and put aside until required.
Just before serving, heat it up again and stir in the honey and wine vinegars.
Serve slices of the nut roast on top of a layer of the spice tomato molé, with a green salad or steamed greens.
- Aromatic nut roast with tomato molé (WF, GF, DF)
- Basil & lemon risotto (WF, GF)
- Caribbean sweet potato gratin (WF, GF, DF)
- Carrot and nut loaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Channa Masala (WF, GF, DF)
- Coconut curry rice with tofu (GF, WF, DF)
- Dal makhani (WF, GF, DF)
- Eggplant and chickpea casserole (WF, GF, DF)
- Italian Vegetarian Lasagne (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Macadamia stuffed Mushrooms (WF, GF, DF)
- Mango, pumpkin and chickpea curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet and cashew pilaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet stuffed pumpkin (WF, GF, DF)
- Mushroom and bean burgers (GF, WF, DF)
- Mushroom and goat's feta risotto (WF, GF)
- Mushrooms filled with spiced quinoa (WF, GF)
- Paneer and vegetable curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Pigs in a blanket (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, apricot and tofu risotto (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, Spinach, Ginger & Tofu Curry (GF, WF, DF)
- Stuffed zucchini (WF, GF, DF)
- Tofu patties (WF, GF, DF)
- Tomato and mushroom ragu with polenta
- Vegetable curry with flat bread (WF, GF, DF)
- Vegetable paella (WF, GF, DF)