This is a full bodied main dish substantial enough for the heartiest appetite.
Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are a must; they'll cook properly and release enough starch to thicken and set the gratin. Finely chopping the spinach like the ribbons of a chiffon cut helps disperse the flavour throughout.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and pressed
- 2½ teaspoon lime rind, freshly grated
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2½ cups coconut milk
- 4 cups sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 1½ cups fresh spinach rinsed, stemmed and finely chopped in ribbons
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Combine the garlic, lime rind, lime juice, coriander, thyme, salt, pepper and coconut milk in a measuring cup. Pour one third of the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Layer half of the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the pan, topped by half of the rice, half of the black beans, and half the spinach. Pour on another third of the coconut milk mixture and repeat the layers of sweet potato, rice, beans and spinach. Pour the remaining coconut milk mixture over all.
- In a small bowl combine all of the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the gratin.
- Bake uncovered for about 60 minutes, rotating the pan in the oven after 30 minutes to ensure uniform baking. When the potatoes are tender and the topping is crisp and golden brown, remove from the oven and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes until the potatoes absorb any remaining liquid.
- Aromatic nut roast with tomato molé (WF, GF, DF)
- Basil & lemon risotto (WF, GF)
- Caribbean sweet potato gratin (WF, GF, DF)
- Carrot and nut loaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Channa Masala (WF, GF, DF)
- Coconut curry rice with tofu (GF, WF, DF)
- Dal makhani (WF, GF, DF)
- Eggplant and chickpea casserole (WF, GF, DF)
- Italian Vegetarian Lasagne (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Macadamia stuffed Mushrooms (WF, GF, DF)
- Mango, pumpkin and chickpea curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet and cashew pilaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet stuffed pumpkin (WF, GF, DF)
- Mushroom and bean burgers (GF, WF, DF)
- Mushroom and goat's feta risotto (WF, GF)
- Mushrooms filled with spiced quinoa (WF, GF)
- Paneer and vegetable curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Pigs in a blanket (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, apricot and tofu risotto (WF, GF, DF)
- Stuffed zucchini (WF, GF, DF)
- Tofu patties (WF, GF, DF)
- Tomato and mushroom ragu with polenta
- Vegetable curry with flat bread (WF, GF, DF)
- Vegetable paella (WF, GF, DF)