Great party favourites for the kids or the kid in all of us!!
This classic appetizer traditionally uses puff pastry which contains a lot of butter and is quite laborious to make. This dairy-free recipe uses a yeast dough to get the same puffed dough without all of the butter and work.
Makes about 48 rolls.
- 1 package yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave (if vegan, use agave)
- 2/3 cup plain flour or gluten-free plain flour
- 3/4 cups rice flour, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- about 16 vegetarian hot dogs, chopped into thirds
- ¼ cup soy milk, for brushing
- ¼ cup sesame seeds, for sprinkling on top
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and honey. Let the mixture rest for about 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in the plain flour with a wooden spoon until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic and let the mixture rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the rice flour and salt into the dough mix until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will be slightly sticky, but if it sticks to your hands or tears, it needs more a bit more flour. Turn the dough out onto a dry surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, or until elastic. Return the dough to the bowl, cover in plastic and rest in a warm place allowing the dough to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll out each to about ¼ inch thick rectangles, keeping the other portions covered as you work. Cut each rectangle into 12 triangles. Place a hot dog third at the base of a triangle and roll the dough from base to tip, folding the "wings" against the sides.
- Brush the roll with the soymilk, sprinkle with sesame seeds and place on the prepared baking tray. Repeat with the remaining dough and hot dog thirds and bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Aromatic nut roast with tomato molé (WF, GF, DF)
- Basil & lemon risotto (WF, GF)
- Caribbean sweet potato gratin (WF, GF, DF)
- Carrot and nut loaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Channa Masala (WF, GF, DF)
- Coconut curry rice with tofu (GF, WF, DF)
- Dal makhani (WF, GF, DF)
- Eggplant and chickpea casserole (WF, GF, DF)
- Italian Vegetarian Lasagne (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Macadamia stuffed Mushrooms (WF, GF, DF)
- Mango, pumpkin and chickpea curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet and cashew pilaf (WF, GF, DF)
- Millet stuffed pumpkin (WF, GF, DF)
- Mushroom and bean burgers (GF, WF, DF)
- Mushroom and goat's feta risotto (WF, GF)
- Mushrooms filled with spiced quinoa (WF, GF)
- Paneer and vegetable curry (WF, GF, DF)
- Pigs in a blanket (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, apricot and tofu risotto (WF, GF, DF)
- Pumpkin, Spinach, Ginger & Tofu Curry (GF, WF, DF)
- Stuffed zucchini (WF, GF, DF)
- Tofu patties (WF, GF, DF)
- Tomato and mushroom ragu with polenta
- Vegetable curry with flat bread (WF, GF, DF)
- Vegetable paella (WF, GF, DF)