Chinese Medicine is about treating the cause, not just the symptoms and relies on a series of treatments to balance the body and maintain health. The following statistics are a review of seven clinical trials on acupuncture and fertility:
- Acupuncture increases the chances of conceiving via IVF by 65%
- Acupuncture increases the chances of maintaining a pregnancy by 87%
- Acupuncture increases the rate of maintaining a pregnancy to full gestation by 91%
- Acupuncture when combined with Chinese herbs increases the chances of conception up to 80%
Fresh Cycle - Fresh eggs are retrieved, fertilized and then transferred
We recommend acupuncture weekly during and between cycles:
- Pre-Egg collection Phase - Weekly treatments plus a treatment 1-2 Days before egg collection to work on egg quality and quantity and thickening the uterine lining.
- Pre-Transfer Phase - 1-2 days prior to the transfer to increase blood flow into the uterine lining to help the embryo implant.
- Post-Transfer Phase - on the day of transfer or 1-2 days after transfer to assist implantation and hold the embryo in place.
Regular Acupuncture - should be maintained. Specially selected and individually made herbal formula or supplements may be given either throughout the cycle or only prior to transfer. This depends upon yours and your IVF Doctors agreement for herbs or supplements to be used during cycles.
Other ART cycles:
Frozen Cycle - Frozen embryod are thawed and viable ones transferred
AI cycle - Artificial Insemination cycle
IUI cycle - Intra-uterine insemination cycle
We recommend acupuncture weekly during and between cycles again, but we our aim is slightly different.
- Preparation Phase - Weekly treatments to work on thickening the uterine lining and increasing circulation to assist when the embryo is transferred.
- Pre-Transfer/Insemination Phase - 1-2 days prior to the transfer to increase blood flow into the uterine lining to help the embryo implant and/or continue with thickening of the uterine lining to encourage future implanation.
- Post-Transfer Phase - on the day of transfer/insemination or 1-2 days after transfer/insemination to assist implantation and hold the embryo in place.
Regular Acupuncture - should be maintained. Specially selected and individually made herbal formula or supplements may be given either throughout the cycle or only prior to transfer. This depends upon yours and your IVF Doctors agreement for herbs or supplements to be utilized during cycles.
Once a successful pregnancy is confirmed, it is very important to maintain regular treatment of acupuncture, herbs and supplements, to prevent miscarriage. Acupuncture, herbs and vitamins are an important part of a general health and a trouble free pregnancy.
- During the first 12 weeks we are still working to maintain the embryo in place and reduce morning sickness or any other symptoms.
- After the first 12 weeks we maintain monthly treatments until 36 weeks, when treatments are increased to weekly until 40 weeks to tone the uterus for complete and full contractions during labour.
- If your baby is in breach position at 32 weeks make sure to book in for an acupuncture appointment to assist with optimal positioning.
- IVF & Natural medicine; Why does recurrent implantation failure occur?
- IVF & Natural medicine; Improving the success rates of IVF
- IVF & TCM; Diagnosing your Infertility
- A Natural Approach to Preconception and Assisted Fertility
- Diet and nutritional tips for fertility
- IVF and acupuncture: when to schedule your appointments
- IVF support and natural medicine
- Lifestyle choices to enhance your fertility
- Male fertility: what you should and shouldn't do
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): can natural medicine help?
- Understanding Endometriosis