Wow, this flan is so scrumptious that you would think it was unhealthy but it is sugar free, gluten, dairy and egg free. So what's in it you ask? It is also really easy to make despite having 3 sections to it. Here goes:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped & soaked in 1/2 cup boiling water for 2 minutes
- Combine all base ingredients in a food processor and process until a clumpy texture, don't over process. Some bits of cashew may still be showing. You may need to add a little more water if it is too dry.
- Press into a 25cm tart dish (one with a removal bottom is best) with a rubber spatula. Ensure you get a thick crust up the sides. Pop it in the fridge while you make the filling.
- 2 cups cashews
- 10 pitted dates (or 5 medjool dates)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup boiling water
- Soak the dates in the boiling water for a few minutes then combine with all the filling ingredients in a food processor and process until you have a very smooth cashew cream.
- Pour onto the base and spread evenly. Again, place it in the fridge while you make the filling.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot (or cornflour)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Mix arrowroot into the lemon juice in a small pot, add blueberries and start heating, stir well until a gel has formed.
- Pour blueberry topping over the flan filling and distribute evenly with a fork.
- Refrigerate covered for several hours to help it firm up so it is easier to serve.
- Almond praline (GF, WF, DF)
- American pumpkin pie (GF, WF)
- Cashew Lime Bars (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Chocolate Bean Brownie (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Creamy Chocolate Avocado Ice-cream (vegan)
- Millet Pudding (WF, DF)
- Raw Blueberry and Cashew Flan (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Raw Chocolate and Avocado Flan (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Raw Chocolate Flan (WF, GF, DF, EF)