Healthy Homemade Ice Cream
Here is a great way to make healthy ice cream just with fruit and whole foods!
You basically blend frozen bananas with frozen fruit or flavourings of your choice. It is so easy, delicious and healthy.
When I have bananas going spotty or see them on special at the produce store I freeze them. I take the skins off and break them up into bendable chunks and put them in containers. Then when I want some ice cream I am prepared!!!
The ideal way is to put the ingredients through a screw juicer (like a champion) however this recipe will work in a food processor (with an S blade). If you have an older or smaller one you are best doing small batches.
Just put the ingredients in and process. It will look like it is just chunky and doing nothing, but after around 1 minute it will start to turn into a silky creamy healthy ice cream!!!!
If you are having difficulty getting to this point you can either add a little water (slowly) to help it along, or soften your bananas for around 30 minutes before using. Or you may need to turn the food processor off and press the ingredients down with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Here is the main recipe with some tasty variants: Don't forget to garnish!!!! Goes perfectly with the Raw Chocolate or Blueberry Flans on our Desserts page.
BASE RECIPE - MAKES 2-3 SERVINGS
- 2 ripe bananas frozen
- 1-2 tablespoons runny honey or date puree
ADD FOR VANILLA:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
ADD FOR CHOCOLATE:
- 2 tablespoons carob powder
ADD FOR NUTTY:
- 2 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
ADD FOR BERRY:
- ½ cup frozen boysenberries, strawberries, blueberries or blackberries
ADD FOR MANGO:
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- chopped roasted peanuts, almonds or cashew nuts
- fresh mint
- fresh berries
- Almond praline (GF, WF, DF)
- American pumpkin pie (GF, WF)
- Cashew Lime Bars (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Chocolate Bean Brownie (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Creamy Chocolate Avocado Ice-cream (vegan)
- Ice Cream - Healthy & homemade (DF, GF, WF, EF)
- Millet Pudding (WF, DF)
- Pecan Pie (GF, WF, DF, EF)
- Raw Blueberry and Cashew Flan (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Raw Chocolate and Avocado Flan (WF, GF, DF, EF)
- Raw Chocolate Flan (WF, GF, DF, EF)